Skip To Content


ESL and Cultural Support Services

Professional language and cultural support is available to students of diverse language and cultural backgrounds. Students can make individual appointments with the ESL Specialist to work on writing, study skills, academic advising, or any other concerns a student might have about being successful in college.  
Please call 610-606-4628 or email for more information or to make an appointment. 

International Student Request Form

Use this form to use to request letters, academic plans, updated immigration documents and other items. If you have other questions or need additional help, please contact us at

Please allow us 5-7 business days to complete your request. 

Please click on the link here: International Student Request Form

Travel Alert
Travel Outside of the United States (.pdf, 291K)

Reminder: To travel outside of the US at any time, you MUST bring your passport, your I-20 form(s), proof of financial support and proof of attendance at the college. If you should need assistance when you return, call the college at 610-437-4471. Campus Police will then contact one of us to assist you at the border.

To update your I-20, contact Academic Services. Regular office hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm in the Student Success Center of Cressman Library. 

Email Communications
Response to Executive Order regarding immigration procedures (.pdf, 110K)

This is the text of an email that was sent to all non-US citizens on January 30, 2017, in response to the Executive Order issued by Donald Trump on January 24, 2017. 

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.

Know the requirements you must meet to remain in status for immigration

Students on F visas must meet certain enrollment requirements in order to remain in status. Failure to meet these requirements will result in the termination (cancellation) of your I-20. 

Undergraduate students

Must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits (full time) for Fall and Spring semesters. 

Summer enrollment is not required to maintain status unless one of the following exceptions applies to you.

    • Students whose first semester of enrollment at Cedar Crest in during the Summer must enroll in 12 credits (full time). 
    • Students who took the Spring semester off and are returning in the Summer must enroll in 12 credits (full time). 

Graduate students

Must enroll in a minimum of 9 credits (full time) for Fall and Spring semesters. 

Summer enrollment is not required to maintain status unless one of the following exceptions applies to you.

    • Students whose first semester of enrollment at Cedar Crest in during the Summer must enroll for 9 credits (full time).
    • Students who took the Spring semester off and are returning in the Summer must enroll in 9 credits (full time). 

Online Courses

International students may not pursue online programs,  but you are permitted by USCIS to take online courses. Only 1 online course or 3 online credits may be used towards the enrollment minimums listed above. 

  • Example: an undergraduate student who must enroll in 12 credits in the Fall may take a 3-credit online course and 9 credits of on-campus courses to equal the 12-credit requirement. In other words...
    • 3 credits online + 9 credits on-campus = OK for full time status
    • 2 courses online + 2 courses on-campus = 12 credits? NOT OK for full time status
  • EXCEPTION: If you are in your last semester and have only one course remaining for graduation, you may not take this course online. 

Permission to enroll as a part-time student

Students may be permitted to enroll as part-time students (Reduced Course Load, RCL) once per academic level. Part-time enrollment requires prior approval, and may only be approved for reasons defined by USCIS. Please review the Reduced Course Load (RCL) Information section in Information and Resources

Overload requests

Students at Cedar Crest are allowed to enroll for up to 19 credits without special permission. If you register for more than 19 credits, you will be charged an extra fee. If your tuition is paid by a scholarship agency, we strongly recommend that you contact them before registering for an overload to see if they will pay the extra fee. If they will not, you will be required to pay the fee yourself. 

To request permission to register for more than 19 credits, you must submit the Overload Request Form in My.CedarCrest. After you submit your request, it will be reviewed by Academic Services and the Registrar's Office and you will receive a response to your request by email. 


International Student Transportation

Please be sure to review all of these forms.

Transportation to Airport or Bus Station

Use this form to request transportation to the airport or bus stations.

Transport Policy
Transportation Waiver and Liability

This form must be completed for each person being transported.

Immigration, travel, & other governmental links
Study in the States

Study in the States offers free government resources that explain the rules and regulations governing the international student process in the United States.

International Student Request

Use this form to request letters, academic plans, and other items.

I-901 fee

Use this link to pay your I-901 fee.

I-94 Form

Use this link to request your I-94 form.

PA Department of Transportation

Use this link to access forms and information to get a drivers license or register your car.

PA Dept. of Transportation Identification and Legal Presence Requirements for Non-Citizens
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.

Required for all international students

As an international student in the US you are required to file a US tax return every year while you are in the US. Understanding the US tax system and filing a tax return is an overwhelming and confusing experience for any student.

That’s why, to make things easier for you, Cedar Crest College has teamed up with Sprintax - an online tool specifically designed for international students which helps you prepare your federal and State return in less than 20 minutes!

Why should you file a Tax return?

  • The most important reason to file a return is that it is a legal requirement of the United States. Failing to file may impact the status of your current visa and make future US visa applications difficult.
  • Avoid penalties – If you miss the April 18th deadline you may face late filing penalties. Filing prior to this date prevents this, so the earlier you file, the better.
  • You may be owed a tax refund – most international students filing a tax return are due a tax refund for overpaid tax. The average refund is $800 - $1000. It’s worth checking if you are due a refund.

Get Started With Sprintax

  1. Register here
  2. Complete each section
  3. Sprintax will prepare your tax return
  4. It will be available for download in your online account.

Want to learn more about the tax requirements for international students? 

The Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publishes a guide for aliens to help you understand your tax requirements. Check out the 2015 guide here:

Cedar Crest College Information
Where do I get __________ ? (.docx, 1939K)
Post Admission Forms for I-20 Issuance
Financial Affidavit 2017-18 (.pdf, 312K)

Complete this form and provide the requested documentation to show sufficient financial support for your education and expenses at Cedar Crest College.

Transfer Verification (.pdf, 77K)

Use this form to transfer your SEVIS record to Cedar Crest College from another institution.

Optional Insurance for F-1 visa holders (.pdf, 166K)
Reduced Course Load (RCL) Information

International students in F-1 status are required to maintain full-time enrollment during the school year. If you cannot or will not meet this requirement, you must request a reduced course load (RCL). Federal immigration regulations severely limit a student's ability to be less than full time, and part time enrollment may be allowed only in special circumstances. If you are below full time without authorization after the drop/add deadline, Cedar Crest College is required to report this to SEVIS and you will lose your F-1 status. 

Please review the information sheet below to learn more about RCL, and complete the request form if you believe you meet the requirements for authorization. 

Reduced Course Load (RCL) Information (.pdf, 147K)
Reduced Course Load (RCL) Request Form (.pdf, 137K)
Immigration Information and Forms
Know your legal rights (.docx, 14K)
F-2 Dependent I-20 Request (.pdf, 273K)

Submit this form to Academic Services to request I-20s for your dependents. 

Financial Requirements (.pdf, 254K)

Use this worksheet when requesting a new I-20 for yourself or for your dependents. 

I-20 Termination Information

Your I-20 and your student status may be terminated for a variety of reasons. Some of the termination reasons are the result of acceptable actions, including taking a leave of absence or completing your program. Other terminations are the result of unacceptable behavior, like failing to maintain your student status. If your I-20 and student status was terminated for failure to maintain status, and you would like to return to student status, you have two options. Please review this materials to learn more about these options. 

I-20 Termination Information (.pdf, 124K)
I-20 Reinstatement Request Form (.pdf, 116K)

Submit this form, and all other required documents, to request reinstatement of a terminated I-20. 

Employment Options

International students may only work off-campus if approved for CPT or OPT. The handouts in this section provide information about Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). CPT is work or training that is required as a part of your curriculum (for example: a required internship). CPT occurs during your program. OPT is work or training related to your field of study. OPT can occur during or after your program. 

A basic summary of information about CPT and OPT is available at Study In The States

International students may work on-campus through the College's student employment program. 

International students working for pay, through campus employment, CPT, or OPT, may apply for a Social Security Number. International students who are not working for pay are not eligible to apply for a Social Security Number. 


Overview of Curricular Practical Training (CPT) (.pdf, 124K)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Request Form (.pdf, 299K)
Overview of Pre-completion OPT (.pdf, 332K)
Overview of Post-Completion OPT (.pdf, 148K)
OPT Request Form (.pdf, 169K)
Social Security for Non-Residents (.pdf, 126K)
Social Security for International Students (.pdf, 1026K)
Local and Community Resources
Information for a Pennsylvania ID card (.pdf, 687K)
Lehigh County Resources (.pdf, 575K)
Northampton County resources (.pdf, 505K)
Pennsylvania Drivers License information (.pdf, 137K)
Housing Options for International Students (.pdf, 68K)
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.